Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Today's Verse: James 4:10

'Humble yourselves before the LORD, and He will lift you up."

This is not actually the verse I had in mind for today. The one I was looking for was never located. I was looking for a verse in the New Testament (perhaps in one of the Timothys or Peters?) that had to do with serving in the way in which we have been called, following through, and being diligent, or something kinda like that. I read the verse back in the spring when I was having serious doubts as to whether or not I was going to mentally commit to finish Parish Lay Ministry Academy (as if!) and what my role really needed to be up at church. I read this verse and clearly got the message: "Keep on keepin' on!"

The whole motivation to find this verse was to have a cool, scriptural connection with something that has been a dream, or desire, since my childhood. I grew up attending an ELCA Lutheran Church in my hometown, and after having moved and lived a little, find myself back in my home parish, this time not as a child or spectator, but as an adult who might as well be a paid staff member some days! Ha ha! At any rate, I would always listen to the ancient words of scripture in our liturgy during the service, usually sung by either the Assisting Minister or by the Pastor, and wish I could be up there to do that. On Sunday, I will finally get to serve my church in this capacity, and I am so humbled and thrilled!!

Which leads me to this verse. Preparing for this service really puts you into a frame of mind. When I'm working on music-related tasks for a service, I have a totally different focus. With performing these duties, I have changed my focus on what is going into that timeframe on Sunday morning, and how preparation happens during the week. The way the church will look from behind the altar table, the smell of the freshly baked bread and the grapey wine, the distinct smell of candles and wax, the scratch of the linen alb on my skin, looking at the faces of many people I have known all my life, to include my own parents and children, knowing that I will be handing (not the kids) the chalice of communion wine and telling them some of the most important words on a Sunday morning: "The blood of Christ, shed FOR YOU," is so humbling. Our pastor is an amazing woman and mentor to me. To serve alongside her will be interesting and enlightening.

Who am I, Lord, that You should choose me to be involved in the lives of Your people? Even if all it involves is sitting in the back pew, unnoticed, and praying over each person sitting in the sanctuary, how humbling and precious to be a part of a community of believers. Cleanse my heart, my thoughts, so that my thoughts and actions might be pleasing in your sight, today, Sunday morning, and always. Amen!

***Please say a quick prayer for me that I wouldn't go and screw anything up this Sunday!!! :) Thanks!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...you're living my dream...to be involved that intimately in Communion and the spiritual growth of a congregation is truly amazing and yes, humbling.

His Girl said...

I love when God lets us get all excited before we do something, so we think it's our own idea when we get to step into service...even though it was His plan all along.

awesome!

Reemts said...

While having an assisting minister with a beautiful voice is not a necessity, it always helps me appreciate the liturgy more. I'm sure you did great!

Sing4joy said...

Oh my goodness!!If I had been paying better attention I could have driven there!!!

Gretchen said...

I'm sure it went so well, and that not only were others blessed, but you were, too.

Thanks for the reminder to keep on keeping on. Sometimes it's the mundane which leads us to the extraordinary.

Have a great week.

xxxooogretchen