Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Response To Gretchen's Verse

I was over at Jewels In My Crown...Someday and had a real epiphany. She was mulling over Isaiah 64:8 and considering how we are clay fresh from the hands of Potter. She is so good to bring up a concept that gets to me like a poppy seed under your dentures (just guessing here; don't have them yet...) Specifically Gretchen mentioned narcissism. She said something once that really hit me in the gut: "Perfection is just another form of narcissism." EWWW!! I hate that because it's so true. I love to justify my perfectionism away by saying that I'm trying to offer my best to God, but that's a slippery slope to walk, I know. I hate admitting to being guilty of narcissism and not happy with the work God has created in me, but I am. How rotten!

All this reminds me of one of my favorite Amy Grant songs, "All I Ever Have To Be." There are more times than I care to admit where I'm trying to mastermind some silly plan for my life or self-improvement. What I really need to do is trust God with this stuff. How the song relates to everything is like this: there are many times when we just don't feel like things are going the way we want them to or thought they should. Our friends and family do what they can to encourage us, but there's always 3 more pounds we could lose, or one more thing we could improve around the house, something we could do to get a promotion at work, or the perfect thing we could say to improve a relationship. But how rewarding is it, really, to force a square peg in a round hole?? Why do we fight against letting God help us out, when He's standing right there just waiting for us to give Him the green light to bless our socks off? When we go through the ups and downs of life, when do we cross that gossamer-thin line between struggling with God and struggling against God?? If we could only realize the true blessing of just being exactly who we were created to be, and rest in that... That's what the song is about...

2 comments:

His Girl said...

that's it. forever. come to my house and we'll chat all night long about stuff.like.this.

k?

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I've been a fan of AMY since I was 12. In high school, I had all of her cassette tapes and had to play them on the 8-track/cassette adapter in my little car. I know, it sounds like I'm older than I think I am....

That was one of my MOST faves of hers, and so it was so cool to know YouTube has a video of it! Thanks for the walk down memory lane -- and the reminder of God's faithfulness all along the way. Cool song. All songs are cool, but ya know....