Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Stadium Pal" and Sedaris

Most of you know a couple of things about me by now if you've ever read one of my rants-n-raves or have read more than one post here on the blog: a) my political leanings, and b) I heart David Sedaris. I've been plotting to go with my friend, JO, to go hear him on 20 April next year, and I've read and listened to several of his books.

Much to my glee and delight, upon pulling up my Bloglines today, when I should've been writing a history paper, I saw were I had some blogs to catch up on over at Dooce's place. She was sharing about a performance Sedaris gave recently in Salt Lake City. He was commenting on the election, and I think this just about hits the nail on the head, no matter which side you end up voting for:

"I look at these people and can’t quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention?

To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?”

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked."


I'll admit, he does use a foul word here or there, but, in the eyes of someone who aspires to write, he seems to use them judiciously and with a reason, not just to be a cussing dope.

Here is a recent clip of him on David Letterman. I might need one of these items he's talking about since I seem to live in the car these days! You might want to put down your hot coffee so you don't burn yourself as you laugh!

4 comments:

Jenster said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That was hysterical! Thanks for sharing!

JO said...

I tried to read the Stadium Pal thing out loud to the Chokemaster, and I never could get through it...I was hyperventilating before I got halfway through.

And I cannot believe that there are still "undecideds" anywhere. Did you see the Daily Show bit about it? I LOOOOVE The Daily Show. Warning, plenty of foul language, but it is hilarious.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=188621&title=Undecided-Focus-Group

Gretchen said...

HI-larious.

Halfmoon Girl said...

very funny- I am not familiar with him, but I got a kick out of this clip. BTW, got your card in the mail yesterday, Thank you!