Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Amish Challenge

Let me preface today's post with a disclaimer. "Great!" you're thinking. "What did GGG do or say now that's gonna cause great gnashing of teeth and wrenching of hands?!?" Well, nothing. Yet. Here it is: I did, in fact, have a great time on this trip and had some wonderful, amazing experiences. I think I had an expectation of what I thought being amongst the Amish would be like prior to embarking on this trip. So, please read the rest of this blog keeping that fact alone in mind. I don't think I necessarily have to point this out; however, religion is a touchy subject for some people, and I do not want my thoughts to be misinterpreted here.

When I think back to the religious aspect of this trip, there are several thoughts that come to mind. While not all people agree with me here, I am the kind of person that is fascinated with learning about other people's countries, cultures, and religions. I believe that God created us so that we are all unique and have something to offer others that they can take away and be blessed by it. For example, in a religion where leadership is reserved for males only and their houses of worship even remain segregated, Jewish women, the female head of the household, is the one who lights the candles 18 minutes before the sun sets on Friday night to mark the beginning of Shabbat, the Jewish Sabbath. Mosques, in the religion of Islam, are also segregated and only used for prayer services -- things like instruction or marriages do not take place in these grandiose structures. I would not know about any of this had I not gone to a mosque in Istanbul last November and taken a Jewish heritage tour of the city with an amazing young father, Josef Ben David, who took our group past three two-foot-thick bomb-proof sets of doors just to reach the actual synagogue where he would talk to us about various traditions in the Jewish faith. I love learning about the traditions and practices of people who are completely foreign to me -- it is truly amazing to witness the diversity of Elohim's creation.

Specifically, though, I really felt that I fell short in this department on my recent trip to Pennsylvania, however. Lancaster County, PA, is considered the heart of Amish country for our nation, yet I felt as though things were very hidden or clandestine. One thing I have learned from being in Muslim countries is that you don't go around outright taking pictures of people, unless they come up to you. I really wanted to respect the privacy of these beautifully simple, quiet, humble people, but I was just aching to hear their voices, have a conversation with them, to hear what their daily lives were like, to hear about the tenets of the Amish faith to see what, if anything, we shared in common. But I still felt as though we were kept at arm's length.

We were invited by a Mennonite pastor to attend his congregation's Sunday services, and I was disappointed that we weren't able to attend. Had I known we wouldn't be able to attend, I think I would've skipped out on the movie at the Mennonite Information Center and just had a good conversation with him.

As we progressed through the trip, we did pick up tidbits of information about the Amish here and there. We absolutely fell in love with the adorable Amish children we saw everywhere, peering warily at us from underneath tousled braids and neat straw hats. I love the fact that they focus on how pride can infect our lives and how they are constantly humbling themselves, almost to the point of subduing who they are (which I think maybe could be a little extreme). I learned that you would never hear them tell you that you were going straight to hell for not believing as they do. I think that's a lesson every human being, especially modern day Western Christians could take to heart. HisGirl was interested about how their views impact evangelism, but I think that there is a way you could marry the two concepts of wordless witness with the call to expose others to the good news of the Gospel in a way that is meaningful and effective.

Even as much as I did learn about the Amish, they still remain a complete mystery to me. I wanted to respect their privacy, but oh, how I wanted to really get in there and hear more! I found this document at the Mennonite Information Center that really blew me away, and I think this is the true challenge to believers everywhere:

THE AMISH CHALLENGE

"We realize that not everyone is cut out to be one of the plain people. Many have not the opportunity, but here is the challenge:


If you admire our faith, strengthen yours.

If you admire our sense of commitment, deepen yours.

If you admire our community spirit, build your own.

If you admire our simple life, cut back.

If you admire deep character and enduring values, live them yourself."

--an Amish man writing in Small Farm Journal, Summer 1993




4 comments:

His Girl said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been chewing on what we gleaned from the trip as far as 'lessons to learn from the Amish whom we never spoke to but touched my heart deeply anyway'

I think the challenge you posted sums it all up rather nicely.

*mwah*

Jenster said...

Great challenge. They truly are an inspirational people.

Love this post, btw. I love learning about other cultures, too.

Gretchen said...

I could cry this is so good. NOt only the challenge, but your wisdom in seeing all God's children as worthy, regardless of their place on the planet. I know He does.

I may have to come and read this again. xxxooogjh

Marsha said...

Makes me homesick! They are very private people, but I've been blessed to count a few of the Amish as my friends. They taught me much about life and helped shape who I am today. They are the reason for my life motto, "Live Simply, Laugh Often, Love Deeply". This is what they taught me.