Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

Daybook Entry

I was over at Pilgrim Steps and enjoyed reading her Daybook. I might start doing these every so often, more as a tool to get the creative juices flowing. Leave a link in the comments if you'd like to play along, too! Or just leave some snarky comments, as per usual... :)

I am wearing a periwinkle longsleeved t-shirt and khaki pants. Not very seasonal colors, but perfect for our first real feeling of fall! Nice and comfy...

I am reading junk right now. I'm between books and finally finished my last paper for lay ministry (HOORAY!!!), so I indulged today at the supermarket in a couple of magazines. I bought one about cottage living, another about cottage floorplans, and a Vanity Fair. I have this dream of living in a quaint little cottage in a charming little town somewhere, complete with beautiful flowers, birds, comfort food, and other utopian necessities. The Vanity Fair is for the plane. I love haute couture, and the articles are remotely interesting, but for the most part VF is pure leftist, liberal drivel. Which is exactly why I don't subscribe (anymore). I will, however, take my copy of Christopher Moore's Lamb on the plane, and fully intend on downloading another David Sedaris book so I can laugh like a crazy woman on the plane. :)

I am hearing the call of God to do something with my life -- just what it is, I'm still not sure of. I'm still listening, though...

Learning all the time that I am a person who is a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. While I think it's pretty neat that I can attempt pretty much anything that strikes me as interesting with a relative degree of success, I either lose interest quickly or I find another mountain to conquer. I am learning that there's a reason why God created me this way, but I am needing to learn how he wants me to put this unusual skill to work for the kingdom.

I am thankful for my good health. I went through a long stretch, months really, where I was suffering from chronic migraines. They are likely linked to changes in hormones, which I think I've got figured out now. I also took pro-active steps to manage my sinus symptoms, which trigger migraine-like headaches. Now if I can just survive Mountain Cedar pollination this winter...

I am hoping to get lots done tomorrow; in fact, probably too much. I'm starting to feel the crunch of, 'Oh crap, I really wanted to get this done before I left town.' Some things will just have to wait until I get home, and that's that.

From the kitchen I can see the pale hue of the early fall sky. I just cannot get over the fact that we are having fall weather in September! It's such a rare event here in Central Texas. If this were anywhere up north, we'd also have the blessing of fall colors to match, but I'm definitely not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!

I am creating more time in our daily schedule to read and work on phonics with the kids. We make the phonics something fun that we can do in about 2.5 minutes while we're eating breakfast, and by getting our daily routine worked out, we usually have a little time left to steal for a quick snuggle and story. What's even better is that Li'l G is starting to be able to read the stories to us!

Bringing beauty to my home by striving to keep it clean and work on keeping up with organization! Ever since buying the new leather couches and recliner, I've been focused on keeping the hardwood floors vaccumed and cleaned, in addition to going the extra mile in the kitchen. I need to add my bathroom to that list, though; it's cluttered right now.

Around the house there is a sense that we have moved on to a new stage in our lives as a family. The kids are no longer toddlers. That has been a difficult stage for me to let go. As much as they have driven me crazy with toddler tantrums, potty training, and general kid behavior, I have loved every minute of the closeness and preciousness it brings. Now, there are backpacks, homework, lunchboxes, and carpool schedules. We groove like a well-oiled machine. :)

Outside my window are glaring examples of how I neglect my domestic duties to pursue other interests, be they personal or ones relating to my children. The nandinas are in competetion with the dwarf yupons to see who can clutter up the flower bed faster. Now is definitely the time to be trimming them back. This particular corner of my front flower beds used to frame my office window and gave it a quaint, cottage-y view from indoors. Now it's just a reminder that I need to seek a slower pace of life.

I am thinking about the possibility of becoming a crisis chaplain. There is a LOT of research to do to see if this is the right vocation for me (see a few paragraphs earlier). I definitely feel called to serve with a ministry of presence, in addition to music ministry. I think this might be an extremely rewarding profession at some point, but it's a loooong road for me to get there. Just thinking at this point...

One of my favorite things is my kids' quirky senses of humor. Bud is becoming a little comedian, telling jokes and following up with, "Get it?!?" He just cracks himself up. Li'l G smiles so big that her eyes are almost closed as she laughs this zany, Julia Roberts-esque guffaw. I hope these are the last things I remember just before Jesus takes me home someday.

A few plans for the rest of the week... Now that I have the weight of unfinished business off my chest having finished my paper, I am completely free to enjoy some well-deserved play time with my sweetie for a few days. I plan on sleeping late, working out, getting outdoors, eating like a pig, drinking good wine, fellowshipping with friends, and hopefully being swept off my feet a little bit. Even moms need to feel glamorous every now and then. :)

6 comments:

Jenster said...

Learning all the time that I am a person who is a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. While I think it's pretty neat that I can attempt pretty much anything that strikes me as interesting with a relative degree of success, I either lose interest quickly or I find another mountain to conquer. I am learning that there's a reason why God created me this way, but I am needing to learn how he wants me to put this unusual skill to work for the kingdom.

Hello, Kettle. I'm the pot. You look black.

AKQ said...

Sadly I left glamourous behind ages ago....Perhaps I should try it out again.

JO said...

> Or just leave some snarky comments, as per usual... :)

How do I know this is targeted at moi? As per usual... :D

You know, the secret to surviving cedar is the NeilMed Nasal Wash system. Minimum twice a day. Morning and night. I promise you, it will help. Google it or go to Walgreens.

Maybe I'll do this thing tomorrow. We'll see. You know what my attention span is like...

Becky said...

I was going to write a deep comment, but with Veggie Tales blaring in the background, I'm having a hard time thinking about anything past "I love my duck!"

You are one busy woman! But I know how it is to want to get everything possible done before going on a trip. Hope you have a wonderful time!

His Girl said...

I am deeply loving this peek into the GGG I know and love.

Also, what am I doing? Counting the minutes until I see you IRL- wheeeee!

Halfmoon Girl said...

I like these posts- I always learn new things about the people who post them. I hope you have an awesome trip and some great down time.