Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Could You Pass The Latest Citizenship Test?

Click on the link above to take a 20-question sampling of the test given to people applying for citizenship in our country. I got a 90% -- I missed the question about senators and Susan B. Anthony. (I was waffling on the one about senators. Had I gone with my first answer, I would've gotten it right.)

I think this is timely, considering we celebrate our nation's independence on Friday. If you don't know the answers to some of these questions, and even if you do, take the time to invest a little more in what you know about our country and our government. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights is something that every single American should have a working knowledge of and be aware of what our politicians are doing that impacts our freedoms and laws. Yes, we should care about Supreme Court appointments and decisions. Yes, we should care about who is being elected to some obscure office. Look at Barak Obama's rise to fame and power. It seems like he just came out of nowhere and has somehow gotten past the Clinton dynasty to be our first black candidate for President. (Personally, I smell conspiracy alllll over that one, but we'll see...)

So enjoy! Post your scores back on here so we can see who is the nerdiest most well-informed among the group!

8 comments:

JO said...

I made a 100, but I just taught the kids about the Declaration, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, so I may have been at a bit of an advantage. :)

There is a very good book we used to lead our discussion on the Bill of Rights....it's called A Kids' Guide to the Bill of Rights: Curfews, Censorship, and the 100-Pound Giant by Kathleen Krull. The library has a copy, but I thought it was good enough that I bought our own.

Gretchen said...

I am embarrassed to say I scored a 70, but as I looked at the answers, I realized I knew all but one. I just didn't test well. Funny how the pressure can make some of us choke.

Great post! xxxoogretchen

Anonymous said...

100%

but I'm a Social Studies teacher

and a nerd

Andrea Frazer said...

I show the world how crazy I am, but not how stupid I am. Will take the test in private, thank you very much.

And conspiracy about Obama? Do share. I'm not overly political, but starting to get excited. And I like the guy.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

oh, this is almost too scary. I'm from the "Home of the Brave" but not so brave! You have a great blog here.

His Girl said...

I have made the choice to not take the test on the ground that I may be deported.

Anonymous said...

Please join me for the Saturday Song game. See my blog for button/link.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I happened upon your blog through a link on Christine's. When she said something about a Kansas girl I had to check it out. I am so happy to see that you are not just surviving, but thriving! It's great to see that God has blessed you and your kids with someone so special. He has also blessed me by my chancing upon your blog. You have a wonderful way with words that are full of wisdom and inspiration. You can bet I'll be checking in whenever I need some of that. Love ya, Erin T.