Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cascade Mountain High

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber." --Psalm 121:1-3 (NASB)

R. and I took the kids up to Mt. Rainier yesterday and had such a great time. Everywhere you go around here, Rainier stands patiently, majestically, always seeming just out of reach but always nearby. Bud and Lil' G affectionately call it, "Snowy Mountain." By the first five minutes out of the car, Lil' G was completely frustrated by slipping on the snow, but Bud wanted to ski. It's a weird feeling touching the snow and being insanely cold, yet baking in the sun because it's 85 degrees outside...







Despite the kids simply acting their ages, all four of us are having a wonderful time, enjoying being together and in one anothers' presence. I would love to report that we were enjoying cooler temperatures, but that would be a bold-faced lie. I can report that we are not having the same kind of intense, melt-your-brain-to-your-skull heat up here, but in a part of the country where homes are built with no air conditioning, even the slightest amount of unseasonable heat can seem ridiculous.

To top it all off with a heapin' helpin' of gravy, the sixth and best food group, I get to have a "MIRL" (read: Meet In Real Life) with the one and only, the bloggy queen of the Pacific Northwest, none other than Gretchen herself!!! She has most graciously opened up the hospitality of her home at the beach, complete with sand dollars and bald eagles, and we are anxious to take her up on it. Photos and details upcoming...

I leave you with what R. and I like to call a "Pookie Pic." We have collected these from all around the world. Now we have one on top of a dormant North American volcano, a.k.a., Mt. Rainier...

6 comments:

His Girl said...

snow? vacation? GRETCHEN?

dude. you don't gotta BRAG.

Becky said...

I'm insanely jealous. First off, nothing beats heading up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier for "Snow in the summer" (been there, done that a few times in my life having grown up in the PNW)...and getting to meet Gretchen?

"Luckyyyyyyy!"

JO said...

Yay!! You all (including the kids) look so happy. :)

I was just thinking about emailing you again....glad I checked in here. I'll probably still email you though. ;)

AKQ said...

Nice nose shadow! I can say that because I'm his sis!

lrh said...

Looks like a great time. I love the snow.

Gretchen said...

Um...I hope I lived up to the blog hype. :) You sure did. I am so glad we got to meet and just chillax in the sun together.

The pictures of you all on Rainier are darling. We need to get up there sometime soon again. It's been since before Drama Girl was in kindergarten. She loved the attack ground squirrels so much that she had to be one for Halloween that year. xxxooogretchen