Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tim Russert, Where Have You Gone???


American politics and elections just aren't the same anymore without Tim Russert and his famous dry erase board. Rarely ever have I seen someone so excited about democracy in action. Regardless of who won or lost, Tim always had a way of electrifying the watching, waiting nation.


On this election eve, as I channel surf between the various networks awaiting word for preliminary results, I can hardly pay attention to the evening routine around the house. Even though I know that this election is almost at an end, I'm terribly apprehensive. Who will lead us for the next four years? Will our Democratic Congress actually get anything of real value done in this country, or will it act like a group of unruly toddlers, making us all wish they'd find a sippy cup to shut them up? How will this next president handle the lives of our soldiers? Will they be put at risk as a result of this election? Will Osama Bin Laden be rejoicing that America made a foolish decision and is lifting her proverbial skirt and flashing her immaturity to the world? Or will he feel like he's hitting a wall of resolute, unyielding steel because we have chosen a strong, aggressive president who will restore honor to the Colors once again?


I hate this feeling of malaise and flippance in my heart tonight. I voted early, so I know I took part of the process. But when I see so many people, good people, intelligent people, people I love and respect, feeling so strongly about someone that I do not support, it makes me wonder either what am I missing or what are they missing. I think about how Gore would've handled 9/11 had he won the electoral vote, and I have to force myself not to vomit and wretch at the thought. Anyone who even jokes about having invented the Internet ought to be on medication to keep the arterial flow going, not running for political office, but hey -- that's just me.


No matter who wins, I'm for one glad that this four year-long ordeal is over. I'm tired of hearing the names, watching debates, hearing people warp the truth and bend it to meet their agendas. I'm even tired of hearing people do that to Scripture, and even more so when it comes to politics. I would love to give a hard slap to people in the media who no longer report news but personal opinion. And I'm sorry if lots of you like to watch, "The View," but I'm ready to not have to hear about those nagging harpies pouncing like greasy vultures on the carcass of some unsuspecting guest who has been invited to be interviewed, not dissected. And Oprah can take a hike while we're at it, too! I've simply grown weary of being told what to think and why to think it by people whose income tax return is larger than the amount of money I take in all year. And when they violate the trust of the public they claim to serve, well, in my opinion they've reached an all-time low. Was state-run media in Communist Russia any different? Not really -- just on the other end of the spectrum.


OK. Am I negative tonight? Yes. Am I tired of things being the way they are in America? Yes. Am I hoping for a miracle in this election? Yes. Am I praying that the Holy Spirit will work on the hearts of all people in our country? Yes. Am I praying that God will soften my heart to have a shred of respect for whomever will lead this country next? HECK yes. Am I praying that God will be the One at the helm of this nation, to guide and protect all its leaders and citizens? Absolutely. At least if Tim Russert were here, maybe some of his enthusiasm would rub off on me.


"UBI LIBERTAS IBI PATRIA" ("Where liberty dwells, there is my country.") -- Benjamin Franklin

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Oh, I miss Tim Russert, too. I really, really do.

Christine Short said...

Psalm 115:3

Sing4joy said...

I would love to give a hard slap to people in the media who no longer report news but personal opinion.

UGH! THANK YOU! I keep looking around when I see this like, "Does anyone else notice this??"