Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Self-Medicating With Comedy

I swore I wouldn't do this any more. After sifting through the first 100 blogs on my site, I was apalled at how little writing I had done and how much "fluff and stuff" I had on my site. After all, this could be a ministry opportunity! Or a chance to develop myself as a writer and philosopher, a truly extraordinary wealth of knowledge and expression for the masses. But after the emotional build-up of sending Lil' G off to the first day of Kindergarten early tomorrow morning, missing R., missing my Chicas and being insanely jealous of the fellowship and laughter that those two noodles HisGirl and S4J got to have (you haterz! j/k -- love you bunches), and being, quite frankly, overwhelmed with what my schedule is going to be like from now until the end of the year, this is what I said:

Screw it! I need something funny...

(And before I go on, S4J's trip wasn't all sunshine and lollypops. She has been on such an amazing journey, one of mission that comes from the heart that God has given her for her brother, and it's been a long road. I'm so very thankful that HisGirl was able to steal away to go along on the journey to help bear the burden and so fulfill the law of Christ.)

OK, now... On with the show!

First of all, you guys need some GGG 101. My relaxed and groovy homey, JO, introduced me to this comedian, Eddie Izzard, a few months ago, and church just isn't the same now that we've been defiled by his insanity introduced to his comedy. Keep in mind he's British and runs off on tangents, which is funny in and of itself. In order to fully appreciate my snarky comments, watch these clips:

"Covered in Bees"



"Achilles and Hoover" (longer but funny)



Earlier tonight, I was over at Red Lipstick Diaries and she had a couple clips from a guy named Tim Hawkins. I nearly died laughing at him. He's a musical comedian, which puts him over the top in my book!

"Things You Don't Say To Your Wife"



Parents Are People (you will pee -- this is hysterical!!)



And this is a musical comedic shout-out to anyone who is involved on a praise team or church band:



For all you homeschooling families, this one's for you:



Lastly, this is the cleanest cut I could find of Rodney Carrington. I'll warn you now, he cusses, but he's painfully funny! I've been going through all his YouTube clips to find a relatively "clean" one and have been laughing so hard that my nose has stopped running and is stopped up now. SOOOO funny:



Pardon some of the language on this last one, but as Larry the Cable Guy says, "I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there!"
"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." -- Proverbs 17:22

3 comments:

His Girl said...

girl, you so craaaaaazy!

I really can't wait for october! we are going to make the BEST vids in PA!

big giant smootches to you!

(by the way, got to see tim hawkins live in Florida- was awesome, cracked up so bad i really did almost pee!)

Becky said...

Oh, man...if you love clean comedy, go to bananas.com (or maybe it's .org or .net)...there are LOTS of great comedy DVDs you can buy there. Funny, funny stuff.

JO said...

That's it, out me as your corrupter...that JO...she's the one who introduced me to Eddie Izzard AND David Sedaris...LMAO.

Hope Lil G's first day of school goes really well (for her mama too).