Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Belated MLK/Obama Post

It's often been said that the English language is one deficient of words to properly describe the human experience. For example, Biblical Greek has many words that all mean "love;" however, each word describes a different kind of love and leaves no shadow of doubt for the reader as to which type of love is being described.

I personally experienced this lack of adequate language this week when I was carefully crafting my tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Presidential Inaugural events of this week. After working for well over an hour on the perfect musical-blogtastic post, Blogger decided to steal my joy and eat my post, never to be enjoyed by you, The Readership. The injustice! The tyranny! O the conspiracy, Lord; how long will you ignore my cry??? I was so beyond having proper language to describe my anguish, I poured myself a rum and coke and called R. to clear my mind.

At any rate, I have been challenged by S4J to come up with something edifying to say about this experience. All I can think of is that the Holy Spirit knew that I could do better than that and made sure that the post didn't "make it to print." Instead, you will, God-willing, Insh'allah, get to read this one.

All I really want to say to sum up the lost post is that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., is someone that I really admire. He stuck his neck out for something that mattered and held out for the right thing when it would've been so much easier in the short run to give in. He knew that the hard times were worth pushing through, and I believe he did this in the most godly way possible. Was he a saint? Surely not. I'm sure I'll read something tomorrow that I've never seen that says he did drugs or cheated on his wife or some terrible thing, although I'm not aware that he ever did any of that. In my mind so far, he is a champion to anyone who has ever been subjected to humiliation and inhumane treatment. The fact that he chose the hard road inspires me to do the same. I feel like President Bush had to chose to take the hard road and had the wherewithal to see it through, even though it cost him popularity points. I have more respect for someone who sees it through than one who caves to public opinion.

At the same time, just a day after we honored the memory of this amazing man, we placed an African-American in the White House. You all know I'm not a political fan of his, but I can't help but hope that somehow God allowed Dr. King to look down on or be aware of just what was going on as a way to say, "You see? You didn't die for nothing. Your life mattered!" This was a huge step for our country to take, and it's about dang time we did.

All that being said, I luuuurve this song by James Taylor. In fact, it's probably one of my three most favorites of his of all time. It's a perfect way to get our game face on for the next four years and put into perspective what needs to really happen in our country, regardless of political alignment and popularity contests.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Believe it or not, I'd never heard that song. Good ol' gospelly James.

Agree about MLK. You know, whether he was a womanizer or a druggie is of little consequence in the scheme of things. He was a godly man. Obviously, a sinner, saved by grace. Like Paul, the Christian killer. Like David, the unfaithful husband. Like Peter, who denied Jesus. Like Gretchen, who is impatient with her kids and obsessive about email. Praise God for MLK, and for the differences He brought forth through him.