Pages

Friday, May 9, 2008

Quiverfull

So I read where the Duggars are expecting for, I think, the 18th time! If you haven't heard of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, go read about them here. DiscoveryHealth has done a couple of shows or series that brings us into their incredibly full and busy home. Talk about the Proverbs 31 woman! This lady makes me sick, but she's such a graceful, peaceful, patient, happy mom, you just can't not like her! (But can we all take up a collection to work on her hair-do? Seriously, the feathered hair over her ears sends me into spastic fits every time I see it! Flashbacks to my old middle school mullet...)

They are apparently a very religious Quiverfull family. "Quiver-wha?? What are you talking about, GGG???" Thanks for asking! As luck would have it, we've got a resident expert to explain the ideas and beliefs of just such a family in our friend, Raising Arrows. As some of you may remember, she has been graciously documenting her journey through the loss of her sweet baby, Emmy. Sidebar: she has recently learned that they are pregnant again and will once again have arms full of a bundle of joy around Christmastime.

Anyhoo, I don't have any real profound reason for blogging about this other than this:

1) I am fascinated at marriages where husbands and wives are so on the same page of music (really, about any topic, not just kids or religion). That is something I take away from reading about these families.

2) I secretly wonder what condition these women are in after having, literally, dozens of children.

3) I long to have more children myself but wonder about the logistics of that, considering different aspects of my particular situation.

4) As any other parent, I often question my own parenting skills. There are many aspects of it about which I'm confident and resolute; however, the couple of areas that niggle away at me do a real number on my overall confidence. As most of you have probably gathered, I am extremely hard on myself (for no apparent reason) and therefore these weak areas are constant sources of stress for me.

5) I wonder what Jim Bob and Michelle's relationship is really like. It seems very close, especially despite the fact that they have so many kids and their needs competing for their attention. I wonder if either one has struggled with infidelity. It doesn't seem like it would even be possible; however, it seems like that's when it always happens, right??

6) Lastly,... I wanna be a Duggar!! They just all look so darn cute and happy!!

5 comments:

Vindiciti said...

I love the Duggars! I wish I had just a grain of the patience that she has to deal with all of those kiddos. I have a hard enough time with my 6. Well, ok, it's 4 but I count my autistic as 2, my older special needs son as 1/2 and my toddler as 1/2. Haha. Too bad they don't make a 'Parenting lots of kids with half the team.'

Gretchen said...

"There are many aspects of it about which I'm confident and resolute; however, the couple of areas that niggle away at me do a real number on my overall confidence. As most of you have probably gathered, I am extremely hard on myself (for no apparent reason) and therefore these weak areas are constant sources of stress for me."

Umm...is there a line in which to stand, a support group, and/or a tee shirt to buy with this sentiment upon it?

I suspect we're better than we give ourselves credit for, and just.not.perfect. *sigh* Perfectionism is a nasty, insidious form of narcissism, and I have to tell myself more often than not how incidental I am to the whole process--it's God's job. Mine is just to guide them toward Him. I'll let you know when I get it. :)

The Duggars interest me. I suspect they are a bit too good to be true, and i can't fathom how each child will feel his mother's love as abundantly as he could if she'd chosen to have fewer children, but I realize from her life view, she didn't choose anything. Except to follow Him.

And...tacky me, I wonder if she's needed any...er...freshening up down south. I know...tacky.

Blessings on your week. xxxooogretchen

His Girl said...

I meant to comment on this a jillion years ago, but I was all wrapped up with my THREE kids. what on earth? why am I so strangely fascinated by these people who seem to be so happy with what God blesses them with? its beautiful and terrifying to me. great post!

Sing4joy said...

Hi. My name is S4J and I too am fascinated by the Duggars. Not enough to every want to try that experiment out for myself - but put them on a tv in front of me any day. There has to be at least some truth to who they are on camera...I mean - I can totally watch a whole show about them and not be sweating and needing to meditate myself down from all the chaos - whereas John and Kate plus 8 ~ watching that gives me a nervous tick. As for you and your parenting skills - of this I know - You love those children. Shortcomings and mistakes will be washed away and they will know that truth.

JO said...

I think I'm in the minority here, but those people creep me out. Totally. I can't explain why, but they do. Maybe it's the hair.